Sunday, March 7, 2021

2020 Year in Review






1. What did you do in 2020 that you’d never done before? Went to San Antonio, TX with Wendel and our friends the Farabees and Abercrombies (Wendel works with them through Livestock Transport Nation. Every year we go to Cattle Convention and this year it was in San Antonio.)

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?  I don't even recall what they were without looking. 
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No
4. Did anyone close to you die? No
5. What countries did you visit? None
6. What would you like to have in 2021 that you lacked in 2020?  At least one family yearbook printed out. 
7. What dates from 2020 will remain etched upon your memory and why? Not a specific date but when the kids went on Spring break from school in March, nothing was the same after that. Covid-19 hit our part of the country. School went to online, church went to home church, my exercise class was cancelled, and a stay at home order was put into place. If we did need to go to the grocery store, were to wear masks and gloves were also encouraged. It is still going on in January 2021 but the stay at home order is not longer in place. School has been in person and online on and off this school year. Church meets in person with limited people and there is also a broadcast option available. 
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making it through the stay-at-home order during Covid while keeping myself and the kids sane. Every day felt long and difficult for several months. There was so much uncertainty. 
9. What was your biggest failure? The times I lost my patience with my kids and yelled at them.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing serious. 
11. What was the best thing you bought? A new dishwasher. 
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Really, all of us for being somewhat flexible and adaptable to our "temporary new normal" with Covid.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Same as last year: People I hear about on the news. People shooting other people. Selfish acts that take lives and destroy families. Also the way President Donal Trump responded after losing the election was disappointing. 
14. Where did most of your money go? Definitely groceries and consumables (diapers, wipes, TP, paper towels, etc.) Also repairs on Wendel's truck. 
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Going to San Antonio in January with Wendel and our friends. It was nice to have this getaway before Covid hit. 
16. What song will always remind you of 2020? Frozen II soundtrack
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Just as happy. 
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter but only by about 5-10 lbs. I'm okay with it.
c) richer or poorer? The same. Blessed immensely, both financially and with a beautiful family.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? There are things I would like to have more time for, like keeping up with our house and family history but realistically speaking, there isn't anything I wish I had done more of given the time I have to do things right now. I feel like my priorities are in the right place for the most part.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I gained weight during the stay at home order (along with a lot of people) because I was eating my feelings a bit more than I probably should have. So I wish I had done less of that.
20. How did you spend Christmas? At home with our little family. Uncle Ty has joined us the past couple of years but didn't this year due to Covid. 
21. Did you fall in love in 2020? A little bit with our cat, Love. He's a great cat.

22. What was your favorite TV program? This is Us, A Million Little Things, Virgin River and especially The Mentalist.
23. What was the best book you read? I only read one book for pleasure, which was while we were in San Antonio, TX for Cattle Convention. The book is The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks. It wasn't life-changing or amazing but it was an interesting love story / suspense novel and it was so nice to relax and read something enjoyable. 
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Rise Up by Andra Day is such a beautiful song and the music video is very moving. My friend, Courtney Richardson, introduced me to both and I'm so glad she did.
25. What did you want and get? Peace during times of difficulty. 

26. What did you want and not get? Nothing comes to mind. 
27. What was your favorite film of this year? The only movie I can think of is Onward, an animated Disney movie we enjoyed as a family. It really was very good. 
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 41 this year.  Cindy watched the kids while I met Wendel for lunch (Indian food). She had the kids paint some vases for me and they put flowers in the vases. They also made me a carrot cake that was delicious. She's so sweet and thoughtful. 
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Not having workout group at the church come to a screeching halt with Covid. I still miss it immensely. 
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2020? I'm often in comfortable leggings and a tshirt. I really like being casual and comfortable. I only wear makeup for appointments and church for the most part.
31. What kept you sane? Same as last year with the exception of exercise because I'm not able to do it as much now and I really miss it. Wendel. Always Wendel. We're in this crazy, survival time together. Also, my testimony keeps me grounded. I would be a different person without it, I think. Third: working out. It is my therapy. Fourth: Podcasts. I love them. (My favorites: Better Than Happy by Jody Moore, Cultivate a Good Life by Becky Higgins and Becky Proudfit, This is the Gospel by LDS Living, 3 in 30 by Rachel Nielsen and several others.)
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I really like Jody Moore, podcast host of Better Than Happy.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? It was an election year and it got pretty heated in our country. Lots of division. I really liked that my brother, Tyson, and I were able to have a very calm, respectful conversation about it and share our differing views with each other without getting defensive or offensive.
34. Who did you miss? My sister, Lindsey, my supervisor from CPS, Robert Morales and my co-worker, Val. 

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2020: Exercise affects my mental health and has to be a priority for me.

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: 

Well, I woke up to the sound of silence, the guns
Were cutting like knives in a fist fight
And I found you with a bottle of wine
Your head in the curtains and heart like the Fourth of July
You swore and said we are not
We are not shining stars
This I know, I never said we are
Though I've never been through Hell like that
I've closed enough windows to know you can never look back
If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your path be the sound of your feet upon the ground
Carry on
Carry on, carry on
So I met up with some friends at the edge of the night
At a bar off 75
And we talked and talked about how our parents will die
All our neighbors and wives
But I'd like to think I can cheat it all
To make up for the times I've been cheated on
And it's nice to know when I was left for dead
I was found and now I don't roam these streets
I am not the ghost you want of me
If you're lost and alone or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your path be the sound of your feet upon the ground, and
Carry on
Whoa, my head is on fire, but my legs are fine
After all, they are mine
Lay your clothes down on the floor
Close the door, hold the phones
Show me how no one's ever gonna stop us now
(...)
'Cause we are, we are shining stars
We are invincible, we are who we are
On our darkest day when we're miles away
So we'll come, we will find our way home
If you're lost and alone or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your path be the sound of your feet upon the ground, and
Carry on
Oh-oh-whoa, oh-oh-oh-whoa
Oh, oh, oh-whoa-oh, whoa-oh
Oh-whoa, oh-oh-oh-whoa
Oh, oh, oh-whoa-oh, whoa-oh
No one's ever gonna stop us now
No one's ever, no one's ever gonna, no one's ever gonna stop us now
No one's ever, ever, no one's ever gonna stop us, no one's ever
No one's ever gonna stop us now
Source: Musixmatch

37. Share some meaningful scriptures and what you learned from them.





38. What are your resolutions for 2021? 

Minimize. 

No comments: