Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2015: Year in Review

It's time for my annual year-in-review post. I actually started this post in December and it it now February and I'm finally posting it. That is how my year has been...super busy, always behind, trying to keep up. But it's also been beautiful and full of blessings. 


October 2015
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before? I learned a lot about Microphthalmia. I learned what it's like to have a child with special needs. 
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? It seems like I'm always working on patience, time management and organization. I'm okay with continuing to progress in these areas. 
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. My sister, Lindsey, had her first child, Skyeler (Skye) Brady Larsen. It has been so fun to see her in this role. She's a wonderful mom. My sister-in-law, Amalie (and Levi) had her first child, Adelai (Addie) Louren Roberts. It has been fun gaining two new nieces and seeing these two ladies experience motherhood for the first time. I also had several friends give birth this year, including one of my longest standing friends, Andrea  (we met when we were 12), who had her seventh child. There were a lot of risks with her baby but she is doing great. It was awesome to witness the miracles that occurred with her pregnancy and meet sweet little Brooke in the hospital the day after she was born (we were in the building across from labor and delivery for Josh's hand surgery so I ran over to see her - nice coincidence). 
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes. My Maternal Grandfather, Kay Herzog, passed away on March 19, 2015. He had Alzhimers Disease and Prostate Cancer. My Paternal Grandmother, Althea Roberts, passed away on October 23, 2015. She died of congestive heart failure, damaged lungs and kidneys. I miss them both so much and can't believe they're not here. I will always be grateful for their examples and the relationship I had with both of them. 
5. What countries did you visit? Haha. Funny. 
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015? More sleep. Always more sleep. And organization. 
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory and why? June 20, 2014 (the day I found out I'm pregnant with our third). 
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Being a good mom to three kids. It takes all I have. 
9. What was your biggest failure? Nothing big - just little frustrations - things I try to be better at and then let slip. 
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No. 
11. What was the best thing you bought? A new (to us) Chevy Tahoe. We bought it in Utah over Thanksgiving. It's older (2003) but nevertheless, I'm in love.  
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Oliver is maturing and making efforts to make good choices. He still struggles as he's learning and growing but he's doing well for the most part.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? People I hear about on the news. Sad stories and disappointments in the human race. Still. Always. 
14. Where did most of your money go? Our Tahoe, diapers, formula, food. 
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The birth of our daughter, Eleanor. Josh doing well with potty training (unfortunately he regressed. Twice. And is now angry about the topic.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2016? "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars, "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon, "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift and "Hello" by Adele. 
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Just as happy, maybe happier. 
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner, due to not being pregnant anymore. 
c) richer or poorer? Richer, both financially and by way of feeling blessed with our three beautiful children. 
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? My answer is always the same for this question. I always wish I had more time to work on family history - mostly our kids' books. It's very important to me and I want to make it a priority but can't keep up right now with even the basics. I'm just so exhausted. But Josh just started preschool so I'm hoping to make a little time for this while he's there. 
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? No big regrets in this area. 
20. How did you spend Christmas? A quiet Christmas with our kids in the morning and then we went to Wendel's parents' house in the afternoon. 
21. Did you fall in love in 2015? More in love with my family. Our kids our amazing, my husband is wonderful...I feel incredibly blessed. 
22. What was your favorite TV program? The Good Wife.  
23. What was the best book you read? I really don't have time to read. I was gifted some parenting books for Christmas that I'm very excited to dive into but haven't made much headway yet. (I started this blog post last month, for example, and still haven't finished it.)
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Not sure I had one, really. 
25. What did you want and get? A new vehicle. I love our Chevy Tahoe! 
26. What did you want and not get? Nothing comes to mind. 
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Star Wars: The Force Awakens was really fun. 
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 36 this year. It was a pretty low-key birthday. Wendel surprised me with a really nice Miele vacuum, which was much needed and appreciated. 
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Being able to spend more time on our kids' and family books...but to every time there is a season. Now that Josh is in preschool, I will have a little more time to focus on this. 
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015? I've never been one to obsess over fashion and trends. I like to look cute but I'm also all about comfort. For example, I wear glasses instead of contact because they're more comfortable. People tell me I should wear contacts but I'm too lazy/tired/don't care enough. And I like my glasses. 
31. What kept you sane? Wendel. Always Wendel. We're in this crazy, survival time together. Also, my testimony keeps me grounded. I would be a different person without it, I think. 
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? None, really. I do think Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell are a cute couple. I love this music video they made together. 
33. What political issue stirred you the most? The candidates running for President next year are not anyone I would want running our country. I don't even know how I'm going to vote. (Hillary Clinton/Bernie Sanders/Donald Trump(?!?)
34. Who did you miss? I miss my sister, Lindsey, a lot. I love that we're closer since she had a baby. We're finally at the same place in life (we're nine years apart) and I love being able to relate with her. 
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015: We are blessed with specific strengths to help us endure our trials. I believe Eleanor was blessed with a happy demeanor to help her through her trials and I believe I was blessed with positivity and the gift of faith to help me through mine. 
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Stand By You" by Rachel Platten because this is how I feel about Eleanor regarding the challenges she faces with her eye. A few of the lyrics:

"Oh, tears make kaleidoscopes in your eyes
And hurt, I know you're hurting, but so am I
And, love, if your wings are broken
Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you


I'll be your eyes 'til yours can shine
And I'll be your arms, I'll be your steady satellite
And when you can't rise, well, I'll crawl with you on hands and knees
'Cause I... I'm gonna stand by you"

No comments: