Saturday, May 12, 2012

life

My poor neglected blog. Sadly, it doesn't make the cut on my priority list. Family, work, house work, photography, spirituality, exercise, going on dates with my husband, playing with my son, paying the bills, organizing our garage (okay, I haven't even been working on this task lately), unwinding with Facebook, reading other blogs, etc. after a long day...all take priority over keeping up with this old blog, despite my New Year's resolution to do the opposite. It actually took the death of a friend to bring me here tonight. This morning I found out my friend Kim passed away. Kim was in my BASW program and in the new cohort of my MSW program (after I had to leave my original cohort when I took time off after having Oliver and joined a new cohort to graduate with). Our cubicles were next to each other at our practicums. We took her daughter's Senior Pictures. Kim is a wonderful person who loves her daughter so much. I say is because I know that she is still herself and that she continues to exist. I know she is in a better place and free from the Cancer-causing pain that evaded her body. I know she will always be an example of love and devotion to her daughter. I feel blessed to have known her.

Life is so precious. It is so short. Sometimes that is difficult to remember when I get caught up in the busyness of day-to-day life. And it takes something like the death of a friend to wake me up and remind me not to take things or people or anything for granted. "Life is a probationary state; a time to prepare to meet God." (Alma 12:24) It can be easy to forget the urgency in our purpose here on earth, the reason we were placed here. Yes, life is hard. But that is not all it is. There is a reason we face trials. It is part of our preparation for things to come. Once again, I am reminded that I need to check my priorities.

Like these two. I love them so much and don't ever want to take them for granted.

P.S. Kim had Melanoma, which is the most dangerous kind of skin cancer. She would have wanted me to remind you that going to tanning beds is not worth it.

No comments: